Australian Embassy

Character Requirements

Character and Penal Clearance Requirements

For the Australian Government to determine whether you are of good character, you may be asked to provide police certificates for each country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the last ten (10) years since turning 16.

For information about obtaining police clearance for countries other than Thailand and Laos, please go to:


Police Clearance Service Centre in Thailand

You can collect Thai Police Check form at Australian Visa Application Centre (VFS)

Apply in person or by mail to:
1st Floor (Building 24)
Royal Thai Police Headquarters
Rama 1
Bangkok 10330

The Police Clearance Service Centre is open Monday to Friday from 08:00–16:30 hours (no lunch break). The centre is closed on public holidays.

Phone: +66 (0)2205-2168-9
Fax: +66 (0)22051295, (0)22052165


Processing time: approximately seven working days.
Fee: payable.

Thai Citizens will need to provide:

  • your passport and Thai ID card
  • household registration
  • any evidence of name changes
  • marriage certificate or divorce certificate (if available)
  • evidence of military service (such as Sor Dor 9, Sor Dor 8 or Sor Dor 48)
  • the agreement from your employer (if you are travelling to work in Australia)
  • a written request for the certificate from our office processing your application.

Non-resident citizens will need to provide the above documents and two full sets of fingerprints and two photographs (1 or 2 inch size).
All copies of documents must be certified.

Non-citizens will need to provide:

  • your passport and a copy of your passport
  • document (s) certifying you are working, were working are or living in Thailand
  • a Thai work permit (if available)
  • two photographs (1 or 2 inch size)
  • two full sets of fingerprints.

All copies of documents must be certified.


Fingerprints must be taken at a local police station or Thai consulate or embassy in your country of residence.

In Australia you may need to contact the relevant state police authority or the Australian Federal Police to obtain fingerprints as local police stations may not be able to provide inked copies.

Non-residents: If you require the certificate to be returned by post, please include a self-addressed envelope with the postage fee (equivalent to five international postage vouchers which can be purchased at the local office).

Note: we recommend you check the website of your nearest Thai embassy or consulate as requirements for obtaining Thai police certificates may vary between countries.

For more information please visit Character and Penal Clearance Requirements

Police Clearances from Laos

In Laos, you will need to apply for a ‘Penal Certificate’. 

Street address

People’s Supreme Court
KM3 Tha deua Road
Sisattanak District

Additional information

Citizens (resident and non-resident): Apply in person or family or friends can apply on your behalf.  Obtain an application form from the address above.
Take the completed form to the Village Office with two passport sized photographs. Also take the Lao Family Book and ask the village chief to sign and stamp the form.
Lodge the completed form at the address above.

Non-citizens (resident in Laos): The Village Office needs to be aware of your residence. If you have not already informed the village chief, you may be required to have your address certified. Without the Village Office being aware of your presence (current or past) in their village, the police certificate cannot be issued.

You need to take your Lao ID card and passport and ask the village chief to sign and stamp the form. Lodge the completed form at the address above.

Non-citizens no longer living in Laos: You will need to contact your nearest Lao embassy or consulate.

The certificate is usually issued within a week and there is an associated fee.