Australian Embassy

Australian Passports

Australian Passports (กรุณา คลิกที่นี่ สำหรับภาษาไทย)


Passport and Notarial Services in Chiang Mai – Monday 24 June

The Embassy will provide in-person passport and notarial services in Chiang Mai by appointment on 24 June 2024.

Services by mail

The service you require may also be available by mail. Further information:


The following information should be read in conjunction with the information on the Australian Passport Office Website.


In this section:


Apply for or renew your passport

Start your application online. See below for lodgement options.


Passport services in person by appointment

We provide passport services to Australians in Thailand at the Embassy in Bangkok by appointment Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 3:30pm (excluding Embassy public holidays). Fees apply.

Book an appointment with Australian Embassy Bangkok using SetMore

Booking policy

  • Please arrive 10 minutes before your appointment time for security screening. 
  • If you are late for your appointment, you may need to reschedule the appointment.
  • Bookings can be made 2 months in advance. 
  • You can amend, reschedule, or cancel your appointment via the links on your notification email.  
  • Please ensure you select the correct type and number of services you require when you make the appointment.  If you select the wrong service, we may not be able to help at your appointment time.


Passport services by mail

Renewing your passport?  You may be eligible to sumbit your application by mail. For more information on eligibility and how to lodge by mail please see:


Passport collection

Passports can be collected from the Embassy Monday to Friday during the hours 08:30 - 12:00 and 13:30 - 15:30 (excluding Embassy public holidays). You DO NOT require an appointment. Please ensure you present photo ID for entry to the Embassy.

If you were issued an emergency travel document, or retained your previous passport while waiting on your new passport to be issued, this must be presented before the new passport can be released.


Other lodgement locations


Emergency Passports

In certain circumstances, we can issue an emergency passport if you need to travel urgently and your existing passport has been stolen, damaged or lost.


Replacement Passports

If you need a new passport more than two years before your current passport is due to expire, and if your current passport hasn’t been lost, stolen or suffered major damage, you may be eligible for a Replacement Passport.

Applications for a replacement passport must be lodged in person. An appointment is required.



Fees are payable in Thai Baht or Australian Dollar by Visa/ Mastercard Credit or Debit card only (no cash payments accepted). Fees are linked to the AUD/THB exchange rate and re-aligned monthly. 

Passport fees

Credit Card Authorisation Form (for mailed-in services only)



Guarantors must either:



Passport photographs must conform to specific requirements

Nearest photo shop to the Australian Embassy – Master Photo Sathorn

Camera Operator Guidelines (for photographers):


Processing times

You should allow a minimum of six weeks to get a new passport or renew one. Missing documents will delay your application. A child passport without full parental consent takes much longer.

The priority processing service is not available in Thailand.


Lost or stolen passports

If your passport has been lost or stolen you will need to report this to the Royal Thai Police and provide a police report when you apply for a new Australian passport.


Witnesses to child consent

Witnesses to child consent must be present at the time each person with parental responsibility signs the application form. They cannot be related to the child or the person consenting in any way, nor live at the same address.


Name changes

If your name has changed from what appears on your Australian Birth Certificate or Australian Citizenship Certificate you must provide evidence of your name change. Please read information in this link carefully.

We will only accept a foreign name change certificate if you were born overseas, live overseas and the name change happened overseas after you became an Australian citizen. The foreign name change certificate needs to be legalised. If it’s not in English, it needs to be translated in full by an approved translation service.

Note: Original change of name documents issued by Thai authorities, must be ‘certified genuine signature’ by the Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs of Thailand.

Evidence of name change is also required when a parent’s name on a child’s birth certificate is different to their current name. This does not have to be legalised.


Pre-interview checklists


Privacy Policy

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) uses third-party software (Setmore) to manage the Embassy’s appointments.  Your personal information (including your name and contact details) will be collected by DFAT via Setmore to book your appointment and for related purposes.  By proceeding with this booking, you are consenting to the collection of this information by Setmore on DFAT's behalf for these purposes.  If this information is not collected, DFAT's ability to arrange your appointment will be limited.  Your personal information will be handled by Setmore in accordance with Setmore's Privacy Policy, and by DFAT in accordance with DFAT's Privacy Policy.