Australian Embassy

Frequently Asked Topics

Frequently Asked Topics

Births, Deaths and Marriages (BDM)

The Embassy does not issue Australian birth, death or marriage certificates.  If you wish to register a birth, death or marriage in Australia, or obtain a copy of your existing Australian birth, death or marriage certificate, you may apply through the official web site of the relevant State or Territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Renewal of Australian Drivers’ Licences

The renewal of Australian drivers’ licences is handled by the various State and Territory Authorities.  The Embassy does not issue or renew drivers’ licences and can only assist with the witnessing and certifying of documents if required.  for further questions, or to obtain the relevant documentation for renewing your licence, please contact the transport office in the relevant Australian State or Territory.

Centrelink, Pensions and Social Security

The Centrelink program delivers a range of payments and services for retirees, the unemployed, families, carers, parents, people with disabilities, Indigenous Australians, and people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, and provides services at times of major change.

Consular staff are unable to provide information on Centrelink’s range of payments and services. If you wish to apply for or need to discuss issues relating to the provision of Australian Social Security, contact Centrelink International Services on 001 800 611 4136 or +61 3 6222 3455, or visit

*** Centrelink services are provided between 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST).

International Driving Permits

Some rental car agencies in Thailand require an International Driving Permit (IDP) as part of the agreement. An IDP is a widely recognised document that serves as proof of validation of your Australian drivers’ license. An IDP is not itself a licence, however - you must also have a current Australian licence.

IDPs are issued by associated members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA). To obtain an IDP, please contact the relevant authority in your State or Territory.


If you have queries about bringing particular types of medication into Thailand you should contact your nearest Thai Embassy to seek advice on customs and importation restrictions. Contact information for Thailand’s overseas missions is available at

Thai Driving Licences

Thai driver's licenses are issued by the Department of Land Transport, 1032 Phahonyothin Road, Chatujak District, Bangkok (Mo Chit BTS station), tel: 02 271 8888 ext 4201, 4202 or 4203 or contact the Department of Land Transport in your district.  You should contact the above department to confirm your eligibility and what documents are required when applying for the license. Certification of documents can be obtained for a fee from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok or the Australian Consulate-General in Phuket. 

Thai Visas

Embassy staff cannot assist Australians to obtain or extend Thai visas.

For information about Thai visas, immigration or citizenship, contact the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra

If you are already in Thailand, you should contact the Thai Immigration Bureau on (02) 141 98 89 or visit their office at:

Immigration Bureau
Government Complex (Building B, 2nd Floor
120 M.3 Chaengwattana Road
Bangkok 10210

Legal Representation:  Local Lawyers

A list of lawyers is maintained by the Embassy.  If you require legal advice or assistance, please email us at and we will send you our latest list of English-speaking lawyers in Thailand.

*** Disclaimer  - The Australian Embassy Bangkok has prepared this list from information publicly available regarding lawyers practising in Thailand.  By providing this information, the Australian Embassy is not endorsing any of the lawyers named in the list or making any representation as to their willingness or ability to carry out legal work.  The Australian Embassy does not accept any responsibility for the quality of work performed by any lawyer on this list.

If you have concerns about a particular law firm or wish to make a complaint about an individual lawyer or law firm you should contact the Lawyers Council of Thailand:

Lawyers Council of Thailand
7/89, Building 10,
Ratchadumnern - Klang Road
Bavorn-Niwate Subdistrict
Phra - Nakhorn district
Bangkok 10200
Tel: 02 6291430


Understanding your obligations and ensuring that you have appropriate taxation arrangements in place is your responsibility.  Consular staff cannot advise you on taxation matters and cannot provide ‘Tax Packs’.

All queries relating to Australian taxation, including how to lodge your tax return from Thailand, should be directed to the Australian Taxation Office (, tel. +61 2 6216 1111).