Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
|Section||Staff and Financial Services Section|
|Reports to||Second Secretary|
About the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally.
This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the position
Working under general direction, the Protocol Officer works within established policies and procedures to manage events which highlight Australia and Australians on the international stage. The position also manages and provides advice on protocol functions.
The key responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
· Manage and deliver selected major events including the Australia Day function
· Manage a range of event contracts and oversee the financial management, monitoring and reporting
· Build and maintain relationships across a broad range of regional stakeholders, including community organisations, senior and middle management, government officials, private sector representatives, international and regional organisations
· Coordinate the provision of protocol services between the Embassy and Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs
· Provide professional policy advice on protocol, events and logistics issues, including the Royal Thai family
· Provide guidance to senior staff, including the Ambassador, for high-level and official visits including on program development and event protocols
· Coordinate with key stakeholders to facilitate arrival and departure arrangements for high-level visits and dignitaries
· Research complex issues to provide advice and recommendation to senior management on Thai regulations and protocol guidelines
· Liaise with Protocol Branch, DFAT Canberra, and the Department of Home Affairs to manage the issuance of Australian visas for Thai and foreign diplomats, their dependents and domestic staff
· Contribute to the improvement of quality and efficient service by applying innovative initiatives to events and protocol management
· Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to obtain visas, permits to stay and ID cards for Australian-based (A‑based) officers and on LES employment issues
· Maintain databases, ensuring details are accurate and updated in a timely manner
· Good written and oral language skills in both English and Thai
· Experience in functions management or a related field would be an advantage